¡La nueva vida de Alyson en España!


When you move to a new place it can take a long time to adjust to your new surroundings. For our first blog post we wanted an inside view on what it was like to get accustomed to a new home from a student who is currently studying abroad. We were hoping to find out more about the local life, culture, and cuisine in Salamanca, Spain and SUNY Cortland sophomore, Alyson Nilsen, did not disappoint! 

Read on as Alyson shares with us how she is getting acquainted with her new life as an exchange student at the University of Salamanca!

Alyson Nilsen
SUNY Cortland, Sophomore
Inclusive Early Childhood Education Major
Originally from Bohemia, New York
What were your expectations going into spending a semester in Spain? What did you expect your room/apartment/dorm to look like? Did reality meet your expectations? 
For this semester abroad in Spain, I expected to develop fluency in Spanish, make several friends (especially with Spaniards), adopt the Spanish style, deepen my understanding of their culture, and travel to other countries. As for living expectations, I did not have any idea of what to expect! Although it has only been a month and half into my trip, I can describe the reality of life here based on my experiences. There are several opportunities for improving listening skills in Spanish here. From living with a host family to having Spanish professors to being surrounded by Spanish workers and store owners, there are always chances to hear the language and try to comprehend it!  It is a bit harder than I expected to make friends with Spaniards, since we are only in classes with international students. I do believe that I have learned more about their way of life and style by simply observing. My apartment is simple and cute! I love it! My room is quite small, but I feel as if I have all of the space I could need. From living in Spain, I've learned a lot about the grandness of simplicity!


How many people do you live with? Have they made the adjustment easier for you?
I live with two other housemates and one host mom! We each live in our own rooms, but eat meals together and spend time outside of the apartment together! I adjust well to new environments and people, but having housemates makes the experience feel more comfortable and safe.


What was it like transitioning to life in a new country?
Transitioning to life in Spain was actually very simple. Life is so laid-back, tranquil, and beautiful here! My host family, professors, friends, and Spaniard acquaintances have all been so welcoming and helpful.
What were you feeling the first day, the first week? What are you feeling now 6 weeks into school?
The first week in Salamanca, I was simply blown away. To be honest, I had NO idea what to expect of Salamanca, but I can now say that it is an indescribable and majestic place. In fact, I am still in awe with the beauty of the city and the manner of life here. I am still enjoying myself and seeking for opportunities to further enrich my Spain experience! I love everything about here.
What has been one of the hardest things you’ve had to adjust to living in Spain?

The hardest thing for me was being patient with making friends with Spaniards and developing my fluency in speaking Spanish. Adjusting was not hard for me at all!
Are there cafes, restaurants, or shops you frequent often?
My favorite clothing stores are Zara and Stradivarius! I have been so fascinated with the Spanish style, and these stores have fashionable clothing worn by Spaniards! As for cafes, I go to whatever is nearby! The coffee here is DELICIOUS! I am obsessed with coffee. I don't go out to restaurants often because my host mom cooks delicious food, but occasionally I'll go out to restaurants in the Plaza Mayor to get small tapas with friends!  (Tapas are small appetizers in Spain, and are very popular!)
What kind of food do you eat? What do you drink? What can be found at the local market/store?
I eat the same pastry every morning in Salamanca, which is called a "napolitana de chocolate". For drinks, I buy water bottles often because water is not typically free here.  It is more common to get a beer (cerveza) or wine (vino) with your meals here. Tinto de verano and sangria are also very common here! My favorite tapas here are patatas bravas (potatos with a mayo sauce), and croquetas de jamon (ham croquets)! I also love PAELLA! I've had mixed paella (rice with shellfish), and also Valenciana paella (rice with rabbit and vegetables). Our local markets look just like regular grocery stores in the United States. Spain also has a market that has all types of meat and seafood that has every body part of an animal that you can think of!
"Napolitana de chocolate"


Describe an average day in Salamanca.
A typical day for me: I wake up around 7:45 am and get dressed quickly, then I go to the dining room and consume my coffee and toast with strawberry marmalade, then I walk 20 minutes with my housemates to school, attend my classes, then I come home and eat a big lunch, relax for a few hours, go to dance classes and then come home and eat dinner again, and then occasionally I go out with friends after that!
What are some fun activities you like to do during your free time/weekends?

During my free time, I like to attend salsa and bachata classes at SalSavor and Salsa Coconut! It's fun to dance with students my age! I also go to a gym, where I lift weights and take zumba classes! Also, I teach English to middle school Spanish students at Hello School. I am hoping to begin Spanish guitar lessons here too!

STAY TUNED FOR OUR NEXT BLOG POST FEATURING ELIZABETH HRADIL, A SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY MAJOR CURRENTLY STUDYING AT FULDA UNIVERSITY, GERMANY!

Comments

Popular Posts