Study Abroad...Repeat Offender!


              Most students who dream about studying abroad may only get the chance to do so once. But this week we are looking into the life of one student who is currently on her second adventure abroad! We wanted to focus on comparing and contrasting her two separate experiences from Vienna, Austria and Fulda, Germany. Liz Hradil, a Philosophy major at SUNY Cortland, gave us exciting stories of her two totally different, yet amazing trips!

                                                        Elizabeth Hradil
                                                    SUNY Cortland, Senior
                                                    Social Philosophy Major
                                          Originally from Syracuse, New York

What were your favorite aspects of your first study abroad experience?

I think a lot of my experiences from my first study abroad to Vienna, Austria in 2013/2014 laid a groundwork for my love and passion of philosophy. Understanding another cultural and historical perspective on topics such as war, religion, and community evolved my curiosity for the world. Another favorite aspect was breaking the stereotype of how others perceive Americans and American culture. As someone who doesn't eat fast food (but rather I prepare most, if not all, of my own meals), who doesn't believe in a two party political system, and who loves to learn and mix together foreign recipes, I feel I was quite an oddity and object of interest for many Austrian people.


What were negative aspects of your first study abroad experience?

I was living with a host family who were contracted to take me in. Their perception of Americans was very negative, and they had tendencies of homogenizing the entire country; their son was studying abroad in Montana and they kept comparing the culture and education of Montana to New York culture. This was quite a challenge to work with. It was also difficult seeing many of the other American students binge drinking, often blacking out. As a result, they often missed out on many wonderful experiences within this once in a lifetime opportunity.

What inspired you to study abroad in the first place?

Then a high school student, I was told it would give me a competitive edge on my college applications. I thought it would also be cool to be able to speak another language and not have as much homework. Well, I got the first two right!


Why did you choose to study abroad a second time?

I think the transformation of originally thinking of a study abroad as a competitive edge versus it becoming personal growth and development (including the educational opportunities) helped shape my quick decision to study abroad again. I think the sense of global community you gain is difficult at best to find at home.


Why did you choose Germany for your next trip abroad?

I was happy that the option to stay in a dorm was available. I've found that the diversity of the program I'm studying in Fulda fits many of my educational and personal interests. After being in a German speaking country before (Austria, not Australia, is a German speaking country!) and having taken a total of 3 German classes, Germany was of course on the top of my list. Many locals in Fulda speak English, but I think even if you're not a German speaker, people are happy to aid your language skills: they are very forgiving of mistakes, eager to help you learn, and light up when you make an effort to speak German.


Did you always know you wanted to study abroad twice?

For a fleeting moment, I thought I might not want to do a study abroad because of some of the negatives of my first experience. I thought though, this couldn't be true because every country, every region, and every town has a different culture. I'm very happy I chose to study again, and I would like to integrate abroad living into my future career. I am considering doing a master's program in England to be closer to my boyfriend (a native of Birmingham). I think once you venture out the first time, you'll find that the travel bug has no preference of person, it bites everyone.

What was the process like? Did it take a lot of planning? Was it easier because of having been abroad once before?

I think the process was much easier than I anticipated. There was an online application, records reviews, and a written response. I think the hardest part of the application was the unwritten terms and conditions of jumping out of your comfort zone.

Was Austria similar to your experience so far in Germany? How has it been different?

Oh, they're both such beautiful places. I don't think it's fair to compare such incredible locations. They're each stunning in their own way, it doesn't do them justice. The language is similar, except I learned a bit of dialect German in Austria ("ich liebe dich" versus "I mog di", "ein bisschien" versus "ein bissl")!


How long were you abroad in Austria?

I was there for the school year, so about 8 months.

 How long will you be in Germany studying abroad?

This time in Germany I am here for a total of 4 months- not as long as a full semester elsewhere, but I did add a budget in for a month before and a month after to be with my boyfriend. It was a win-win! I think it's a better choice for those who can't afford a summer program, and not too long for those who might get homesick for mac and cheese. (I came prepared with 4 boxes, I won't lie.)


What was your living situation like in Austria? What is your living situation like in Germany? 

I was with a host family the first time, and now I'm living in a student apartment. It's not quite a dorm, but I have my own room in an apartment with 5 other people. I quite like the arrangement compared to dorms and especially a host family- I can have guests, cook all of my own food, my room is fairly spacious, and it is extremely affordable.

How did you budget for your semester abroad now versus in high school?

I worked two jobs over the summer and saved up for quite some time, but was also careful with spending leading up to my departure. I sold a bunch of things I didn't need/want/wear on eBay, Facebook, Marketplace, and at second hand boutiques, and used the money from things I wasn't using to save up for experiences I would never forget. I think SUNY Cortland made the program extremely affordable, and offers many scholarship opportunities. Being awarded one of them, I find that the program here is about equal to the cost of college and living expenses in New York. Rent, clothes, and groceries are all cheaper in Germany too. (In high school, my parents paid for the program, so I can't quite say how that was done.)

What has made your time in Germany more enjoyable?

The freedom and flexibility the program offers you is quite enjoyable. I have been doing an internship at a place called "Welcome in Wohnzimmer" where I not only work, but hang out at, and I've met plenty of incredible people there who share their stories and cultures. There has been more opportunity to meet locals and travel to nearby places of cultural significance.

Comments

Popular Posts