Life of an International Intern!

This week we're changing it up a bit and are focusing on what it's like to work as an intern in a foreign country! Many programs offer students the ability to intern while studying abroad and it can be an excellent way to earn credits and gain experience in the work force! Madison Napoli, a SUNY Cortland student, gave a vivid and exciting report of her internship at a local television company in Dublin, Ireland.

Madison Napoli
SUNY Cortland, Junior
Communication Studies Major
Originally from East Moriches, New York

Why did you chose to do an internship abroad?


I have been interested in studying abroad since my freshman year at Cortland. Every year I would attend the Study Abroad fair to see what programs Cortland had to offer. I was initially drawn towards Ireland because Cortland offered a summer Dingle art program that I was interested in doing. After completing a couple of semesters at Cortland, I realized I was ahead on credits, but at the same time was hesitant to graduate early. I decided to look into an internship because I figured it would let me stay for the last semester of my senior year, while also allowing me to gain credits and professional experience while still going abroad.

What is a day in the life of your internship? What type of work are you doing?


I'm currently interning at a television company called TV3, working for a midday talk-show called the Elaine show. If I had to compare the show to an American equivalent I'd say it's similar to The View. An average day at my internship includes researching topics for the show to use during panel discussions, interviewing guests prior to their appearance on the show, taking notes for the panel and presenters to use during production, and various other tasks. I'm in charge of recording voxes for the show, which  are segments we air on the show that are interviews I go out and record earlier in the day of locals responding to questions we discuss on the show. I am also in charge of greeting panelists and guests to the show every day, and making sure they are comfortable throughout production. During production I sit in the gallery and sort through comments from posts made to social media, about the topics we are discussing on the show. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of work I was assigned when I started my internship. I thought I might just be running errands or getting coffee for staff, but I've actually gained a lot of useful experience while working on the Elaine show.

What have you learned about professional/work culture in Ireland - has anything surprised you?


Professional culture in Ireland isn't all that professional. Granted, you are expected to respect those superior to you at your job and you are expected to work efficiently, but work culture in Ireland is definitely a lot more casual and laid-back than it is in the United States. Irish people work shorter hours and receive more holidays and paid leave than we do in America. Work relationships are also a lot more casual and friendly. Work hierarchy is a lot less formal in Ireland, and everyone is very welcoming and friendly. Another thing Irish people are known for, is being a lot less forward when it comes to asking for favors or critiquing peoples' work. They are almost too friendly and ask questions in an indirect way in order to avoid confrontation. Also, unsurprisingly enough, cursing is a lot more acceptable at work in Ireland than it would be in the States. Irish workers aren't lazy or rude at work by any means, but the overall work environment is a lot less professional than that of America.

Tell us about your co-workers, what are you learning from them?


I work with three other individuals, Elaine, who is the host and main producer of the show, Sinead, who is co-producer of the show, and Kelly who works freelance and is mainly in charge of booking guests for the show, and helping me out with my assignments. All the women I work with are super friendly and are willing to help me and answer any questions I may have. They seem to have a lot of trust in me and have let me help out with almost all aspects of production on the show. I've learned a lot of interpersonal skills from having to record interviews daily for the show. Recording interviews has also helped me learn a lot about the Irish population, and Irish culture in general. I'm constantly traveling to city centre to record the different opinions of Irish citizens during the interviews, and it has helped me gain a more personal look at Irish culture. I'm also learning a lot more about live and pre-recorded television production. I've previously worked on making short films, but I have never done television production, so I've gained a lot of helpful experience in that field. 

What do people do for breaks or lunch at your internship - any favorite restaurants or pubs?


I normally bring my own lunch to my internship. I work in a business district so the closest restaurants and cafes are about a half hour drive from work. Me and my friend will frequently meet up after our internships for dinner in the city, and we've been to a lot of really nice places. Pubs are really common in Ireland (shocker), but my friend and I have tried to branch away from the bar scene and try other restaurants around the town. We like to save the pubs for the weekend! Usually the best restaurants are hidden gems tucked away, and it's been fun exploring the city and wandering into random restaurants and pubs to see what they have to offer.


What is one thing that you know now, about studying abroad, that you wish you knew before you went?


In a way, I wish I came to Ireland with a friend so I had someone to share my experience with, but at the same time, I'm happy I went on this journey alone because it allowed me to meet new people and really branch out of my comfort zone. I also wish I knew how much more expensive Europe is. I knew the dollar to euro conversion was a little steep, but I've been surprised by how quickly the change difference can add up. I'm glad I spent my summer saving up for my trip abroad, so I would definitely advise people who wish to study abroad to plan accordingly when it comes to funding their trip! Otherwise, going abroad has been one of the best, and most rewarding experiences of my life, and I would recommend it to anyone who has even the slightest interest in doing so!



Comments

Popular Posts