La Bella Vita!

To some, Italy is just known for pasta and pizza. On the contrary, Italy is a country with a rich history that is so much more than food.

Matthew Mavrogian did a great job of giving us a peek into the life and culture of Italy.

Read on as Matthew shares his account of being abroad in Florence, Italy.


Enjoying a view of the Arno River with the famed Ponte Vecchio Bridge in the background

Matthew Mavrogian
Senior Political Science Major and Sociology Minor
Originally from Huntington, NY


Why did you chose to study abroad in Italy specifically? What drew you to Florence?

I chose Florence for two main reasons. First, because I have always wanted to study abroad in a city since it would be a change from the rural atmosphere of Cortland. Also, I wanted the place I study to have an interesting culture, good food, and art. Florence was the obvious choice once I thought about it long enough because it has all of those things and more. Additionally, I took four semesters of Italian, and found it very difficult and stressful at times. However, I chose Italy in general because I knew that all of the stress that I had from my many Italian classes would pay off, and I was right. I came to Florence on day one already knowing so much about the culture, the people, and the language, and I truly felt like I belonged. Those Italian classes could not have been more rewarding looking back.




The best Spaghetti in Italy (so far).
Linguini with clams



What differences did you notice between the people in Italy and the people at home?

Probably the biggest difference I noticed is the pace of life in Florence. I come from Long Island and we tend to always be in a hurry when we do things. And when we are not doing something, there is this odd level of stress because you feel like you need to be busy doing something. Here, the people take life a little slower. It’s funny, for example, in Italy it is highly uncommon to walk around with food like we would do with a sandwich or hot dog. The locals find it odd and prefer to stop what they are doing if they eat, and sit to enjoy the food. They do this because they think food is so important that time should be set aside to enjoy it to the fullest. I was very fond of this newfound way of living after I arrived here because it translates to other things in life; enjoy every moment and take time to take it in, don’t always be in a hurry. 



Some friends and I on our first of many trips, featuring the famous Amsterdam sign


What can people in the United States learn from Italians?

People in the U.S. could definitely learn that drinking is a luxury to be enjoyed and shared with family and friends. Drinking culture in the U.S. is about quantity and speed. College students drink to become intoxicated and compete with each other about the quantity they can consume. It is a big reason for the alcoholism rate, the amount of drunk driving accidents, and the amount of domestic violence associated with drinking. In Italy, kids drink at the age of 10 in some cases during family dinners and special occasions. They are trusted, and are taught to drink while eating, and not to consume more than they can handle. Drinking and eating together allows one to understand their limits, and to appreciate quality beverages such as wine and aperitifs. If Americans realized that alcohol consumption is about quality and not quantity, we would definitely see a dramatic reduction in alcohol related issues, and learn to appreciate alcohol differently.



Enjoying a quick lunch break high up in  the Swiss Alps!


What is your favorite Italian word that you’ve learned and what does it mean/how is it used?

My favorite word, by far, is ‘alora’. This word is funny. It is a basic transitional phrase used by Italians to denote a subject change, or simply used as a filler instead of “um, well, so”, that we use in English. I like it so much because literally every Italian I have spoken to says it, and even my Italian teacher in Cortland would say it. The part I like the most about this word is that it does not have a definition, and nobody can quite explain what it means, yet everyone knows what it means. You can learn it very easily when trying to speak the language and it makes your Italian speaking sound much more genuine to native speakers. 



A view of Florence atop the Michelangelo Steps, a beautiful view no matter the weather


What are your courses like? Is instruction in Italy different than in the US?

So far my classes are very interesting. I take a wine tasting course that explains the different types of wine, the processes of making and aging wine, and the history of wine and how it has become such a widespread beverage. I also take an Italian culture course that incorporates aspects of Italian culture, politics, and art to give students a better understanding of the people that live here. We go on city walks after class where the teachers describe the importance of the many historic buildings. A similar class is my Italian Arts walking class. Every class we walk around a different part of the city and talk about the ancient and renaissance periods of Florence to understand how certain buildings and monuments came to be. Lastly is my Vegetarian cooking class where we discuss the production and consumption of locally grown fruits and Vegetables. 
One of the biggest differences between the classes here and the ones at home is the expectation of punctuality. Many teachers in the U.S. demand that students are on time and start class on the dot. Here, the teachers are sometimes the last to even enter the room, or will start class late even. Punctuality is actually seen as rude here because it means you have nothing better to be doing, according to my professor. So being a few minutes late to even an important meeting is perfectly normal in Italy. 



In front of the famous Roman Colosseum on our trip to Rome 


What is your favorite spot in Florence and why?

My favorite place to go to Florence is actually just a café. It is called La Managere, a beautiful café by day, and restaurant by night. It is Italian owned, and they make the best coffee I have had since I arrived here. I like to go in with a friend, or maybe just by myself, and drink a coffee, have a croissant, and relax. The music is relaxing and the people that work there are honestly so accommodating and friendly that you just feel at peace. 



A simple yet delicious snack after a long day of walking in Rome
 Bruschetta with fresh tomatoes, basil, and olive oil


Do you live with a host family or with other students? How has that experience been?

I live with three other students in my program in an apartment. I have always been easy to get along with and I couldn’t be happier with the people I live with. We all travel together and are really close friends already. We were all just thrown into the same apartment and I am glad we get along. Living in Italy is different though. What I mean is that everything is a bit smaller than what we are used to at home. Smaller washing machines, smaller bathrooms, less hot water, no dryers etc. I have come to appreciate this aspect of my experience here because it made me realize that I am able to adjust, but also that I don’t need all the amenities and luxuries that I have at home in order to survive, I can live with less and be just as happy with everything. 
Most travelers would agree, you gotta love the people you travel with!
(Roman Forum Square)

Stay tuned for the next blog post featuring Jaimie Schramm!


Comments

Popular Posts