La vie en Paris

Paris is known as the city of love and romance. It is also famous for its sights which people travel far and wide to see. But do you think Paris is all that it is made out to be?

Alyssa Roderick did a spectacular job giving us the inside scoop on life in Paris!

Read on as Alyssa shares with us her experiences abroad in the city of lights!



Alyssa Roderick
Senior
Business Economics
Minor in Communication Studies
Montverde, FL


How have Parisians reacted to you being from the United States?

The college I attend right now is the American University of Paris and although its an American University, a lot of students and professors are not American, but when I interact with them they aren't surprised that I'm American. They are all extremely nice. It doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary to be an American living in Paris and Parisians don't seem phased when hearing my American accent.

The Eiffel Tower


What is a misconception about Paris or Parisians that has been cleared up since being there?

Paris is not warm! In pictures, Paris always looks sunny and warm, but it has snowed quite a bit since I've been here, which apparently it hasn't snowed in Paris for 6 years prior to this year (go figure). Another misconception about Paris is that the people are rude. I haven't encountered any problems with Parisians and people who have been more than helpful when I've lost or have struggled with my french. Don't be afraid of the French!

The flower markets you can find throughout the neighborhoods here in Paris


Describe Paris or the atmosphere of Paris. Does it live up to the romanticized image that is continuously painted for it?

Paris definitely has some very romantic tones to it, but since it's been winter here it's been a little dreary! The atmosphere is extremely fast paced during the work week but weekends are focused on relaxation and enjoying life. The buildings truly live up to the romanticized image however and the Eiffel Tower is even larger in person. I feel like I'm living the Parisian dream in this adorable apartment building and the walk along the river is truly picturesque. Paris will be absolutely stunning once spring is here.

My apartment


How does the cost of living abroad in Paris compare to the cost of living at home/SUNY Cortland?

Living in Paris is extremely expensive. The apartment I live in with three other people is pretty small for how much money it costs. Food at restaurants can also be expensive, but you just have to look for the pre-fixe menu (usually on the chalkboards) and that can save a lot of money! The euro is stronger than the dollar which makes things more expensive, but shopping in January was amazing because of the "soldes d'hiver" which are winter sales. Sales only occur twice a year in Paris but when they happen everything is typically around 80% off! You also can always count on picking up delicious food from the boulangerie, such as baguettes, for only a few euros!

A Cafe


Describe a time that you felt you learned something valuable.

The simple act of moving to a new country on my own has taught me valuable lessons about myself. I have learned just how strong and independent I can be since I am in a foreign country with a different language and I am thriving and picking up the language. I've learned that no matter where you are you can make it home and will make amazing friends that make the experience of studying abroad just that much greater.

Pastries from a boulangerie


Describe your average day in Paris compared to your average day at home.

An average weekday in Paris for me consists of getting up early and getting ready for class. I have to walk about five minutes to my nearest bus stop and then have about a twenty-five minute commute to class but the drive is totally worth it. I live in the 8th arrondissement and in order to get to my classes, in the 7th arrondissement, I have to pass by the Champs Elysees and I get to see the Arc de Triomphe and the Eiffel Tower as well as the Seine everyday! The view never gets old! If I have time in between classes I will stop by a cafe and have a cup of coffee or will walk towards the Eiffel Tower and pick up a baguette for lunch. My weekends, if I'm not traveling, I will hang out with my friends and we will either visit a museum and some cafes or we will just walk around a neighborhood and explore the sights and smaller towns that are full of history and beautiful architecture. Life in Paris has been full of adventure and beautiful sights and delicious food that I can't get back in Cortland!

Lunch in front of the Eiffel Tower


Stay tuned for next weeks blog post featuring Arielle Curry!

Comments

Popular Posts