New Country, New life, New Challenges

Moving to a new place I snot always an easy task. Imagine moving across the world and having to adjust to a new way of living.

McKenna Cannon-Bailey didi a wonderful job of giving an inside look into the differences between Ireland and the US.

Read on as McKenna gives her account of her transition abroad!


Me on Inch Beach in Dingle
McKenna Cannon-Bailey
Inclusive Early Childhood, Sophomore
Rochester, NY
ASL Club, Education Club


What is the currency used in Ireland? How have you adjusted to having to use that currency as opposed to dollars?

Here in the Republic of Ireland they use euros (Not to be confused with Northern Ireland which uses pounds). It is pretty similar to U.S.currency, except they have one and two euro coins instead of bills. I think the biggest adjustment in terms of currency has been stopping myself from saying dollars all the time. My friend will ask how much something is and I'll say, "oh five dollars" and they will have to keep correcting me!


Colorful Houses in Galway.
What items did you have to pack? Does the weather Ireland match that of New York?

The weather here is pretty similar to the weather at home, just a bit warmer and rainier. We've had nearly no snow since I arrived, but it rains almost daily. I made sure to pack a really good rain jacket and waterproof boots. Other than that I packed clothes I could layer with if I needed to.


My beautiful new home, Cork

What was hardest adjustment you've experienced?

I think the hardest adjustment for me was being on my own. I had never had to cook or budget my money before. At Cortland, I just ate at the dining hall ad I did not have monthly expenses to worry about. Of course, it is hard to be so far from your family and friends and be in such a different place. Especially in a place where the language is different (seriously some of these Irish accents sound like a foreign language), and the currency, time zone, and customs are different. But my friends are all in the same boat; we are all adjusting together and that makes it easier.


My awesome roomies here, from left to right: Me, Emilie (Denmark), Roberta (Italy), Marlies (Austria), Miranda (U.S.)!

What food(s) do you miss from home? What food(s) do you love from Ireland?

They actually have a lot of the same foods here. They do have these really good tings called Croquettes which are mashed potatoes but cooked like tater tots and let me tell you I am in love. Here in Ireland, they eat a lot more seafood than we usually do because of where they are located. So I eat more fish, like fish and chips (fries) or seafood pie (like shepherds pie but without the gross minced meat and with seafood). I think I miss sesame chicken and Bistro chocolate chip cookies the most from the U.S.! 

Croquettes!

How does college in Ireland differ from college in the United States?

I think students here have a lot less freedom in terms of picking what they study. When you pick a subject to study you are put in a tract and take all the same classes as the other students in your course. At home we are lucky enough to pick different classes that we want to take which I am really thankful for. They also do not do as much work outside of classes here, maybe one group project an dan essay for the whole semester. But that means that your finals test is that much more important.

Me in front of my new university (but it seems more like a castle).

What are some positive changes you've seen in yourself since being in Ireland?

I think I have definitely become more outgoing and open-minded. I have met people from all of the world and continue to meet new people everyday. Coming to a whole new country all by myself was a really scary concept but I think doing so has made me that much better of a person. I have also been lucky enough to learn about so many new cultures as well. I think all the new perspectives have helped me learn more about the world.


A bookshop in Kinsale


Have people treated you different because you come from the United States?

There are always going to be some people who are rude to you because of where you are from. But I have met so many really awesome people here and their opinions outweigh the opinions of a few misguided strangers. I do get a lot of Trump jokes but for the most part people like to hear about the U.S. They usually want to know how amazing it is to live I New York City (even though I live about six hours west of the city). It is interesting to talk to so many people from different countries and see just how different things are.


Ross Castle built in the 15th century in Killarney


Stay tuned for next weeks blog featuring Political Science major, Matthew Mavrogian!



Comments

Popular Posts