Arielle Takes on Nepal!

Learning about another country is amazing but when it allows you to reconnect to a piece of yourself it is even better! Nepal was just the first stop on the map for this Red Dragon.

Arielle Curry did a a great job of reflecting on her experiences in Nepal and so much more!

Read on as Arielle shares insights on her time in Nepal with us.


I went to a rooftop cafe at Swayambhunath (the Monkey Temple) to see the beautiful view of Kathmandu! 

Arielle Curry
 
Senior
Speech and Hearing Sciences major
West Hempstead, Long Island
Cru, B.A.S.I.C, Outdoor Adventure Club, Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority 


What are the attitudes toward gender equality or gender roles in Nepal?

I believe that the attitudes of gender equality and gender equality in general are improving in Nepal. In the past, it was rare to see a young girl going to school or a woman working in Nepal but now in regards to work and education, the gender roles of Nepal do not differ too much from those in America. There are many girls enrolled in school and many women who are working in Nepal.

I went on a trip to Pokhara with some amazing people! (Ruby from Australia, Greg from France, and Ineke & Maria from Norway)


What are some of the words that you have picked up on or frequently use?

I studied Nepali for a bit before arriving, so I know how to introduce myself. Saying something as simple as “Mero naam Arielle ho” (My name is Arielle) makes the children so happy! Two phrases I've picked up on and use all the time are “jam jam” (lets go) and la la (okay). A few more useful ones are “ramro” (good), “piro" (spicy), and “tato” (hot). “Dheri piro!” (Very spicy) and “Tato cha!” (This is hot).

I did an activity on the five senses with my sixth grade class!


How has your relationship with other students  in your program grown over the course of being abroad?

This question has already made me emotional. I love the students at my placement so much and I have really grown such amazing relationships with them. They fill my days with so much laughter and joy. I never want to leave them!!! I have also become very close friends with the teachers at my placement. We have made so many memories together; visiting temples, eating street food, making homemade momo’s  (dumplings), climbing to the top of “Love Valley” and having a little picnic aka eating dry ramen noodles and tangy tomato chips!

This is a picture of my teachers who have made Nepal feel like my home! (Sarita, Shan-deepa, and Reshma) (& also Laxmi who is my Nepali best friend)


What has been one of your favorite experiences while being abroad so far?

Other than all the fun tourist excursions, my favorite moments genuinely are the moments spent with the locals of Nepal. During my first weekend here, the teachers from my roommates placement took us to a Nepali festival. With those same teachers we also celebrated the Holi festival together, which probably is my #1 favorite experience. Holi a festival where people throw colored powder and water balloons at each other endlessly.

We had a blast celebrating Holi at Kathmandu Durbar Square! (Sumeetra, Saroj, and two of Sumeetra’s friends)


Now that you have been to Nepal, what other part of the world would you like to travel to? Why?

I am really infatuated with Asia, hence why I came to Nepal. I think this might be because I am half Asian but I am culturally white and I have had the desire to explore the other half of my ethnicity for a while now. I want to go everywhere in Asia basically! However, I specifically want to go to South Korea because that is where my mom was adopted from. I also hope that I will be back in Nepal soon after I leave. I love it here too much!

This view of the Himalayan Mountains was breathtaking and it was well deserved after our hike to see them!


Stay tuned for next weeks blog post featuring Katrina Truglia!

Comments

Popular Posts