Chien-Chien takes on Cortland


This weeks blog post is dedicated to another International Student. This International student is here living out her passions and learning about new things.

Chien-Chien Chang is a Junior from Taiwan who has spent a year with us at Cortland, but will be returning home to finish her senior year.

Read on as Chien-Chien shares her experience here at SUNY Cortland.


The recreation conference"Off to Neverland"

Chien-Chien ChangJunior
Taiwan

Why did you choose to study here in the US and specifically why at Cortland?

I chose Cortland because I heard good things about this college from my friends. They said I would gain experience about professionalism and many opportunities for jobs. I also chose Cortland because it was in New York, but I did not realize how far Cortland was from New York City, which I would have loved to visit.

International Orientation Week

What is your major? What are your plans with this major?

I currently do not have a major here in Cortland because what I was studying in Taiwan is not taught here. In Taiwan I was a Tourism Management major. When I return to Taiwan I want to eventually do event planning. But while here I have been taking a lot of film classes which I am really interested in.

Last semester I won 1st place in a video competition

Have you become involved on campus in any clubs or sports?

I haven’t really been involved but I have interesting Recreation classes that require me to coordinate and assist with special events and banquets. I have also become apart of the Black Bird Film Festival and I am in the media production group. My team makes small films, contacts different directors, and goes around Main St. to find sponsors for the Film Festival. I didn't expect to do so much in my time here. Being here has taught me to catch all my opportunities when they come; don’t let them get away. I almost second guessed myself with the Black Bird Film Festival, but I took a chance and applied and am now on the team.

The Buffalo Film Festival was a big turning point for me

Have you created any films now that you have been taking classes for film making?

I have a documentary class and one of our assignments was to make a film highlighting an issue here at Cortland. Because I work in the dining hall Bistro, I decided to make a documentary about how much food is wasted here in Cortland. Because you can technically eat all you want here in the dining halls it is easy to waste a lot of food. In Taiwan there are not many places that allow you to eat as much was want unless they are very expensive places. Seeing that people can get as many servings as they wanted and for them to only end up wasting it was somewhat of a shock for me. 

Here is the link to the documentary : Grab. Eat. Waste. https://youtu.be/CwdvSoBJIgQ


How has your experience with other students been here at Cortland? Professors?

The students here in Cortland are very nice and welcoming. I have learned to be more independent since being here. I have realized that you can have a group of friends and still have your own time out of the group.  When I first came I saw making friends as something hard because it seems like everyone wants to have their own space. In Taiwan silence is seen as awkward so I thought my friend making was going bad but to everyone else I know they are not feeling awkward. It is all a learning process. I love the professors here in Cortland. I like that I have lectures as well as hands on classes where I get to truly understand what is being taught.

International dinner with President Bitterbaum

What is one difference between education in Taiwan and education in America?

One difference that I noticed is that professors here in Cortland are more caring and nice to the students. In Taiwan, it is hard to really have a relationship that goes beyond the class. Professors in Cortland are more likely to ask “How are you doing?” Or “How was your weekend?” As opposed to professors in Taiwan. The professors here also teach differently. Some classes are hands on which I really like.



What will you be doing after you leave Cortland?

When I leave Cortland I will return home and will be doing a summer internship. This internship is in tourism and management. I have to complete 400 hours of internships. I hope to do it in a hotel to gain some experience. Then I will go back to school in the Fall and complete my senior year.

Lovely leadership classmates

What have you noticed about the American culture? Is there anything you like about it?

I have noticed that people are open minded and friendly. People walking around say “Hi” and “Have a nice day” to strangers which is something new to me. I also love that there is so much freedom here. You can walk around wearing whatever you want and doing whatever you want and people don’t seem to care.

All my Taiwanese friends


Comments

Popular Posts