Weikangs Cortland Experience

All semester we have looked into the stories of SUNY Cortland students studying abroad. Today we will take a look at what an International student has to say about being a student here at SUNY Cortland.

Weikang Jia is an exchange student from China who will be graduating from SUNY Cortland this Spring.

Read on as Weikang gives us the scoop on what it is like being abroad at SUNY Cortland

In Chicago!
Weikang Jia
Senior
Sports Management Major
China


Why did you choose to study here in the United States and specifically why at Cortland? 

When I originally came I was going to TC3 and after receiving my associates degree I came here to SUNY Cortland and I am now going to be graduating this spring. I came here because this school is very well known for sports and majors relating to it. I am a sports management major but after some time here I realized my true passion is art and not so much sports management.

International Cafe

Have you become involved on campus in any clubs or sports? 

I have been to a handful of clubs since being here. I have been apart of the Art Exhibition Association and was the Student Government Association Representative for this club for 1 year. I was also apart of the International Awareness club, Turkish club, Cru, and Sports Management club. I try to go to each club when I have the time. 

International Cafe

How has your experience with other students been here at Cortland? Professors? 

My experience here with the students at SUNY Cortland has been fun! A lot of people are open to talking to me which I appreciate. I love that everyone is different and from different places. One thing I especially like is that people like to ask me questions because I love to engage in conversation. Of course, there are those who don’t know what to say when they talk to me, but I appreciate that they even tried to hold a conversation with me. By going to clubs I have made many friends. My professors are great as well. They are very helpful and welcoming. 

International Students

What is one difference between education in China and education in the United States? 

I have been in the United States for the past 5 years so I have not experienced higher education in China. But the process to get into college is probably a little bit different. In China we take an exam before leaving high school and entering college. This exam is a very big deal and people spend their childhood preparing for this exam. The exam spans over the time of 3 days and consists of math, science, Chinese literature, and English. Every student competes against each other because the score you get will determine which university you will go to. The college you get into will ultimately decide your future and career. This is why I am glad I was able to go come to the United States where I have the freedom to choose my own major and career path. 

DC Trip!

What is your favorite part about the cultures of the United States? 

My favorite part about the American culture are the outdoor activities. Coming from China I never knew anything about hiking and camping. It is funny because these things are now becoming popular and well known in China. I love nature and being outdoors. Especially having been in Cortland, I am around a lot of nature and greenery which I love. 
I also love the freedom that comes with the United States. I have learned how important freedom and democracy is in the United States. In China it is a luxury which is why I decided to come here and be free and follow my dreams. 

Ithaca Hiking!

In ten years where would you like to be living and what do you see yourself doing? 

I see myself becoming an artist and traveling all over the world. I want to have a home but I want to be able to travel and paint while having a place to come back and call home. I also want to go to Los Angeles again and paint on the murals that artists travel far and wide to paint on. These murals have greatly inspired me and I see myself doing art and living freely. For my short-term goals I see myself going to Savannah and attending Savannah College of Art and Design. From this I hope to one day work as a visual effects artist. 

High Peak Camping!

Is there anything you miss about being at home? 

I definitely miss my family and my friends from high school and middle school. Being here for 5 years is a long time, so I miss them dearly. I miss the people more than the place. Because I have moved around a lot, I do not feel a deep connection to any house or area I have lived in. 

White Water Rafting

What will you miss about SUNY Cortland when you leave? 

When I leave Cortland I will miss the nature. In Cortland I am surrounded by nature and it is beautiful. I ride my bike and I am able to enjoy the nature every time I go anywhere. I will miss the friends that I have made while being here in SUNY Cortland. I will also miss Daniela from the International Programs office. She has helped me a lot as an international student and I am very grateful for that.

High Peak Camping


Comments

Popular Posts