"Dans une grande âme tout est grand!"

            As a college student who would ever think you could live and study in the "city of lights"? Elianna, a junior at SUNY Cortland, is currently living her dream of being a Parisian for the semester. She told us all about being out of her comfort zone and how, as an individual, one can grow thanks to studying abroad!
Elianna Bodnar
SUNY Cortland, Junior
International Studies Major
Originally from Cambridge, New York


Has adjusting to life in France been hard for you? What have you noticed is different about the apartment/home you live in compared to your apartment/home in the United States?

I haven’t had any issues adjusting to French life at all so far! I’m lucky enough to have traveled around Europe before a couple of times, as well as study abroad my freshman year, so I knew relatively what the culture and pace of life would be like before I even moved in. This is my first time in France so just getting used to being completely surrounded by the French language was new, but other than that it feels pretty similar to any other urban setting. Lots of people, lots to look at, lots to be aware of and everything else that comes along with it. 

I live in an American style dorm here in Paris called the Foundation des Etats-Unis so moving in was similar to any dorm at SUNY Cortland. The only difference is the campus I live on houses students from all over the world so I get to hear people speaking Mandarin or German in the halls which is neat!


Has living abroad pushed you out of your comfort zone? If so, what are some tips for other students on how to best manage new situations?

Living abroad definitely forces me to be more independent and self reliant. I feel this way especially when it comes to basic every day things such as, grocery shopping or taking the metro line, but it also gives you access to literally thousands of new people your age that you can do fun stuff with like travel, explore or just go out to dinner with. Getting out of your comfort zone to introduce yourself to those people and make connections with them can be so so scary sometimes but if I could give advice to a future study abroad student it would be to 100% put yourself out there and make those connections. It's absolutely worth it. 

Another bit of advice would be to learn how to be aware of your surroundings, learn how to trust your gut,  and really read situations that you’re in. It’s easy to assume that you’re safe and secure on a college campus or even in your hometown but, being in a foreign country makes you vulnerable to things you don’t think might happen. Find a buddy to do stuff with, try not to be alone too too much and just have your wits about it. That's something to keep in the back of your mind when you're abroad. 


Do you find a difference in the social life of locals compared to the U.S? What about work/school life?

I’ve found that people are really, really social here and love to make conversation, but only if you’re respectful to them. I think that having respect, addressing people when talking to them and asking how they are is much more common here than at home.

What’s been your favorite thing about Paris so far? Do you have any favorite foods, restaurants, cafes?

I haven’t had time to see too much of Paris so far, but as of now I just love the people!! The locals are so funny, fashionable and vibrant. I’ve always heard that French people are so rude blah blah blah but everyone has been great so far. My favorite place to visit is Montmartre! Its so charming to walk around that section of the city. 

Favorite food: Doner kebab on every street corner (Not French but it's everywhere here!!!)
I don’t have a favorite cafe yet!


Describe an average day for you in Paris.


My average day;

I don’t have class until mid afternoon which is really, really awesome so I have a good chunk of the day to finish any work I have, grocery shop, sit in the park across the street, maybe even shop too. Also I might sleep in if I have to. I usually catch the RER B metro line around 4pm and head over to my classes depending on which building they’re in that day. Classes are long (2-3 hours) but they’re not too bad. I finish my grammar class at 9pm and head back home after. I don’t have classes on Fridays which is my absolute favorite part of my schedule! It helps make the week go by really fast. Three day weekends have been great for exploring and planning side trips. I’m actually going to northern France and Belgium this weekend, from Thursday night to Sunday night!! 



Comments

Popular Posts