Give Us the "Deets" On Australia!

                 What is so alluring about Australia?  In our previous post, we interviewed another SUNY Cortland student who is also studying abroad in Australia. With it being such a popular and beautiful destination it's no surprise Cortland has students hustling to go abroad! This week, SUNY Cortland senior, Brittany Koch, tells us her personal story about why she was drawn to Australia. 

Brittany Koch
SUNY Cortland, Senior
Public Health Major
Originally from Stony Point, NY

What drew you to choose Australia? Was it your major, the university, the culture, the location,
etc? Had your family and friends influenced your decision in choosing this country?

I had always wanted to go abroad but didn’t think it was actually possible because I didn’t have many classes left. Once I found out that Griffith University offered my major, that was all it took for me to decide to apply and go through with the process! My best friend from home had previously studied at another Australian university and had nothing but amazing things to say, so that definitely influenced my decision to come here!


Did you have any preconceived notions prior to arriving in Australia, either about the culture or
community or both? If so, did you find them to be true? Has your experience been challenged
while abroad because of being from a different country and culture?

Before coming to Australia I definitely thought that it had a very laid-back atmosphere and that Aussies were very friendly. After being here for three months, I can say that is definitely true. Everyone here is generally very friendly, laid-back and will help you out any chance they can. Australia has an amazing, welcoming atmosphere that has exceeded my expectations!

Have you been able to meet Australian students or professors? Have you explored differences in your program group?

Since being here I have gotten to interact and become friends with not only Aussies, but so many other people from different parts of the world. Living in the village has been really awesome since there are people from so many different countries living here! It has really exposed me to a lot of different cultures and has been such an awesome experience.

Is there one thing in particular that you have found extremely interesting about either your program, the culture, or the country itself?

One thing that I found very interesting is that each course here has a two hour lecture and a one to two hour tutorial/workshop. The lectures aren’t mandatory since all of them are recorded and posted online. They really try to work around student’s busy schedules here and don’t want them to be penalized for it, which I think is great!

Australia is famous for their amazing beaches and wildlife; have you experienced any Australian outdoor activities or sports? What else do you like to do in your free time?

Since being in Australia, I have been able to experience so many outdoor activities and sports. The opportunities here are endless. I have done many hikes in Australia’s hinterland, taken surf lessons, climbed the Sydney Habour Bridge, snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef, and went skydiving. I also only live a 15 minute tram ride from the beach, so I usually like to go there every opportunity I can and I never pass up the opportunity to watch a sunset there.


What are some common food or drinks that can be found at the local supermarket or restaurant? Have you found any that you’ll truly miss when you return from abroad?

Tim Tams!!!!! They are chocolate biscuits that are only made here in Australia and they are amazing!!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts