Rebecca Young's Scottish Experience



Rebecca Young
SUNY Cortland, Senior
Studio Art Major
Originally from Feura Bush, New York

How would you describe Scotland to someone who has never been there before?
Even though the whole of Scotland is nearly two times smaller than New York State, there is so much to see and explore. Scotland is easily the most beautiful country I’ve visited. I was here for six weeks in the summer of 2018, and I was elated I had the opportunity to return to study and make it my home for a semester. Everywhere you look, there is a gorgeous, mountainous landscape to behold. I was surprised to see all green grasses when I arrived in January, and they’ve stayed vibrant all throughout the coldest winter months. The cities are filled with stunning architecture as well, particularly in Edinburgh. There is also a plethora of castles scattered throughout the country, each with its own style and history. Scottish people are very friendly and welcoming. Occasionally, people do walk around in kilts and play bagpipes, although it’s more popular in the bigger cities during important celebrations. Scotland is also known for having extremely clean water and air which is always refreshing.

How is your daily college life in Scotland different than it was in the United States? How has this impacted you? 
In Scotland, I live farther away from the campus than I did in Cortland, so I stay at the university all day between classes and study in the library or go for walks around the loch. Having a more regimented studying schedule has allowed me to really get invested in my courses and read as much as I can about the topics I am learning about. Additionally, the layout of the courses is very different from my past experiences. In Cortland, I would have multiple studio classes a week as well as lectures or smaller class settings, whereas in Stirling, I had large lectures accompanied by very small seminars or tutorials which provided space for conversation and depth to the topics studied. The grading system is also much more rigorous in Scotland which really pushed me to work my hardest.

How is the food different in Scotland? What is the cuisine like?
Most of the food I’ve had over here has not been dissimilar to what I would usually have back home. The only real difference is that I’ve had more fish in the last four months than I’ve had my whole life. The fish is fresher and more readily available in Scotland. The most traditional meal that Scotland is known for is ‘haggis, neeps, tatties, and black pudding.’ Haggis and black pudding are really delicious, and the sides of turnips and potatoes make it a really filling meal. To anyone visiting Scotland, I would highly recommend trying haggis (but don’t google what’s in it before you do!)

Have you gotten to travel at all while you’ve been in Scotland?
I’ve been to a few places in Scotland from the central belt down towards the border region, but since airfare and accommodation are so reasonably priced once you’re on this side of the Atlantic, I was able to have small vacations abroad. I spent a few days in Seville, Spain during my university break in February, and following my last exam in May, I travelled to Tallinn, Estonia. Seville was sunny and much warmer than Scotland. The tapas food was incredible! Tallinn was much damper, but the stone buildings in the Old Town were stunning. It felt like walking around a medieval village! I feel so grateful to have had such wonderful opportunities to travel and experience different cultures.

What would you say has been a highlight of your time spent in Scotland?
One morning, we decided to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to hike 1,489 feet to the top of Ben A’an to watch the sunrise. The walk started out pretty chilly and dark, but we quickly warmed up as the ascent was quite steep. The views from the top of the hill were breathtaking looking out over Loch Katrine, Loch Achray, and Loch Venachar. At the top of Ben A’an, we patiently awaited the sun cresting one of the surrounding hills, and as it did, the brilliant golden rays of sunlight blanketed the hills and valleys in a stunning way. Words could not describe the sublime beauty of Scotland in those few precious moments.



Comments

Popular Posts