Maya Owens' Semester in Florence, Italy



Maya Owens
SUNY Cortland Senior
Inclusive Childhood Education Major
From Nyack, New York

Maya Owens shares with us her unforgettable semester in the beautiful city of Florence, Italy. Her semester abroad was filled with gelato, paragliding, and plenty of traveling. Maya made amazing memories and gained incredible experiences while living in Italy. Maya showcases her time abroad and her advice for future study abroad students. 


Why did you choose to study abroad in Florence, Italy?

I chose Italy because I’ve never been to Europe before and wanted to expose myself to other cultures and ideas that will help me grow as a global citizen. Italy is a central place to travel to other countries and is a huge study abroad location. Florence is rich in history and arts, and I wanted to immerse myself in an experience like that. Lastly, I wanted to study abroad in Florence because of the amazing food Italy had to offer. Pizza on every corner, you can't beat that!



Did you travel anywhere while you were abroad?

When I was abroad I got to travel to Switzerland, Amsterdam, Ireland, Venice, Verona, Pisa, Lucca, Bologna, and Siena! If COVID wasn't a thing, I had Greece, Spain, England, France, the Amalfi Coast, and Sicily planned.



What was the highlight of your study abroad experience?

The highlight of my study abroad experience was paragliding in Switzerland. My friend and I just arrived early morning in Interlaken, Switzerland. It was the perfect way to start the trip by taking a leap off the Swiss Alps and observing Switzerland from a bird's eye view. I felt like time had stopped, and it made me take a second to appreciate everything I have and that I am so grateful for this experience.

What do you miss most about living in Florence?

I miss the lifestyle I created while abroad. I truly felt like Florence became my home away from home. I had a routine of going to my favorite coffee shop, taking a jog across the Ponte Vecchio, going to class, and traveling all weekend long! I miss the positive and exciting atmosphere that filled the streets of Florence. Every day was a new experience filled with discovery and gelato!

What was the most challenging part about studying abroad?

The most challenging part about studying abroad was adjusting to the time difference and being so far from home. When you are getting ready to study abroad you're so excited, focusing on all the fun that you'll have. I forgot that it would be a huge leap and change of pace. For the first week, I was a little homesick just because I was not used to this different lifestyle. Once you make a routine and get settled in, you will be okay!




What advice do you have for students who are thinking about studying abroad?

The advice I would give to students who are planning to study abroad is definitely to remain open-minded and say yes to different opportunities! Studying abroad in and of itself is stepping out of your comfort zone, so I think if you have a growth mindset, you can create amazing memories and develop lifelong friendships. Also, travel, travel, travel! This is such a special time in your life where you are living in a different country for months so utilize this time to explore different areas for a cheaper cost!









Comments

Popular Posts