Erin Minnick in Florence, Italy

 Erin Minnick

SUNY Cortland Senior

Inclusive Childhood Education Major

From Lynbrook, New York

This week's interview was with Erin Minnick, a senior at SUNY Cortland, who studied abroad in Florence, Itay in Spring 2020. Erin shares some of the amazing places she visited as well as how COVID-19 impacted her time abroad. Erin made incredible memories such as paragliding across the Swiss Alps. 


Why did you choose to study abroad in Florence, Italy?

The school that I attended was called Florence University of the Arts, and I chose to study there because it was the perfect location. It was a central spot for traveling in and out of, and it is a very popular city for students studying abroad. Before my time abroad, I heard nothing but great things about Florence: the food, the people, the arts, and the atmosphere. I knew that I wanted to study abroad somewhere in Italy, and I felt that Florence was the perfect fit.

What was the highlight of your time abroad?

The entire experience was all one big highlight. I can’t pick one specific time because it was overall such an amazing experience. If I had to choose, I would probably have to pick the time I paraglided across the Swiss Alps. I am terrified of heights, but I felt that because I was in Switzerland, experiencing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I overcame my fear and jumped off a cliff into a parachute and was in the air for 10 minutes!

Did you travel anywhere while you were abroad?

Yes. I was lucky enough to travel to 6 cities within Italy and 3 other surrounding countries. I visited: Bologna, Pisa, Venice, Verona, Siena, Luca in Italy and then traveled to Ireland, Switzerland, and Amsterdam.

What 3 words would you use to describe your study abroad experience and why?

3 words to describe my study abroad experience are inspiring, astounding and unique. My experience abroad was a little different than most. I was abroad during Spring 2020, which was the year the COVID-19 pandemic hit. So, unfortunately, my experience was cut short. I was abroad for about a month and a half instead of four months. Studying abroad while the pandemic hit was definitely unique. I was convinced that I was going to get stuck there. It was crazy to see life literally change overnight. One day the streets were filled with people, and the next day it was empty. Completely empty, no exaggeration. There were policemen scattered around the city, and in order to walk around, you basically needed to carry a “permission slip” that was given to us to show to the police. The “permission slip” basically consisted of our name and how we were exchange students. My classes went from being filled with 20 students to being filled with 3 students. I felt so completely out of the bubble compared to life in America because I barely knew the severity of the virus until I arrived home. 

How did the place you studied compare to your expectations before arriving?

I honestly did not have many expectations before my arrival. I knew many people who had studied abroad beforehand, people who had also studied abroad in Florence, so I honestly had an idea of what to expect upon arrival.

How does your life here compare to your life abroad? College routine? Day to day life?

Life abroad is a completely different experience. Immersing yourself in a different culture while taking different types of classes. While abroad, I was taking 4 classes. I had one class every day Monday-Thursday that lasted 3 hours. While in the states, you typically take 2-3 classes a day Monday-Friday, with classes lasting about an hour and a half per class. A typical day in my life abroad would be going to get a cappuccino and croissant before class, then going to class; after class, my friends and I would usually walk around the city of Florence being that they were earlier on in the day, we had time to explore after. After exploring with friends, I would typically go back to my apartment and cook dinner and do some homework. Classes gave minimal work, but it also definitely required me to work. I always loved ending the night by getting some gelato. How could I not!

Comments

Popular Posts