Samantha Arone's GIVE Hawaii Experience





Samantha Arone

SUNY Cortland Junior

GIVE Hawaii Ecotourism, Summer 2022

Recreation Major

GIVE's mission is "to inspire growth, empower global citizens, and ignite sustainable change worldwide." This summer SUNY Cortland students got to experience helping this mission in Hawaii, an area where increased tourism has done more bad than good. During this trip, student volunteers helped with environmental restoration, snorkeled with sea turtles, learned from Hawaiian culture, and so much more, all in a 9 day span! 

Where did you study and what made you choose that location? 

    I studied in Hawaii, and I chose this location because it was a place I wanted to learn more about. Before taking this class, I had no prior knowledge about the historical aspect of Hawaii. I was eager to learn more.

What was the highlight of your study abroad trip? 

    The highlight of my study abroad trip was when we got to hike Volcano National Park. That day I got to learn so many different facts about the history and nature, but I also had the best day with my friends. That will be a day I will never forget. 

Did you find many differences in study and livelihood in Hawaii?  

    There were many differences in style and livelihood. One thing that was a fun experience was that you did not really have to wear shoes. There was a point where we were all playing kickball at a local park and none of us had shoes on.  

Did you meet any locals? How was that experience?  

    We met so many locals and when we did, we explained what we were doing on the island. They were so thankful for our group and what we were doing for their land. It was interesting to hear how all of them grew up and what made them love their land.  

What did an average day look like for you? 

    An average day for us was wake up, make our own breakfast, meet up with our group and talking about the daily tasks, go to our community service project, then after go to a historical landmark or sacred place, then finally go home, eat dinner, debrief, and head to bed.  

Did you ever feel homesick? If so, what helped that? 

    I did not ever feel homesick. There was always a feeling of comfort there, the guides, my professor and GIVE did a great job of always making us feel at home and safe. 

Did you learn anything about your own culture while experiencing a different one? 

    On this trip, I learned so much about not only Hawaiian culture but also my own. The guides on our trip were from Hawaii and they were both so passionate and had so much knowledge about their culture. This really inspired me to appreciate where I am from and how it has shaped me.

 How did this trip impact your life? 

    This trip completely changed my view on how to travel. Learning about how tourism has destroyed Hawaii's beautiful land and their sacred culture has really opened my eyes. I definitely have picked up ways to travel sustainably and how to visit places and experience amazing things but also learn about the meaning. 


 

Comments

Popular Posts