Kelly Tait's Cortland Experience

 



Kelly Tait 
SUNY Cortland Senior
Political Science Major
from South Africa  
 

What made you choose to study in the US and more specifically at Cortland? 

I have been in the US for five years now. I started out on an exchange program as an au pair and when my contract was finished, I decided to continue my time in the US and study here full time. I completed my associates at a Community College in New Jersey and when deciding where to transfer to for a 4-year degree I was specifically looking for a school that would accept most of my credits and that had scholarships that applied to international students. Cortland met all my needs and here I am over a year later.


Have you traveled around the US since being here? Where have you gone, and where was your favorite place?

I have traveled the US extensively and have lived in 9 different places over the years. I started on the west coast in California and have lived in places like New Jersey, Texas and Philadelphia. I have traveled to 32 of the 50 states including Hawaii. I really loved Washington state on the west coast for its natural beauty and I enjoyed Texas for the atmosphere and just experiencing a very different perspective of life.


How has your daily life change since arriving in the US?

Life in South Africa is a lot more laid back than in the US. I feel in the US everything has a bit more urgency to it so it has definitely been an adjustment. What comes to mind is the phrase “African time” which is the notion that African people have a tendency to be leisurely, not rigorous about scheduling, and often late.

What is one stereotype of Americans that is true? Any you found false?


The American stereotype that I found most true was the unhealthy eating habits. I find that the portion sizes in the US are far too large and that unhealthy and fast food is very easily accessible for a low price. In South Africa fast food is known to be more expensive and people don’t indulge as often. Another stereotype was that Americans were not “nice and accepting” . I have found this to be the opposite, as much as that varies from area to area and person to person the country as a whole is definitely more accepting of differences in individuals with progressive views.




Most interesting thing you've discovered since being here?


The one thing the US has allowed me to do a lot more is travel and experience different cultures. It was very interesting and eye opening to experience so many different cultures in one country.


What is your favorite and least favorite thing about the US?


My favorite thing is how easy it is to travel and the accessibility to transport that can get you anywhere within hours. My least favorite thing is how far I am from my family.



If you could bring one thing from home to the US what would it be and why?


I would love for my family to be here but that is not very practical. I would love to be able to buy Biltong, a South African equivalent to beef jerky just infinitely better.

 

Anything else you'd like to say/add on? 

Taking the leap to study abroad and to travel more while I am still young was the best decision I could have made and do not regret it; in fact, I highly encourage anyone and everyone to travel and study abroad at any given opportunity.




Comments

Popular Posts