Lawrence Bruce Takes on England!

Lawrence Bruce

SUNY Cortland Senior

United Kingdom: Medieval England: There and Back Again 

Summer 2022 

Where did you study and what made you choose that location? 

    I studied in England. I'm already familiar with the language and culture. I mostly wanted to study abroad for the travel experience. 


What was the highlight of your study abroad experience? 

    The highlight was definitely doing a boat tour of the River Ouse in York. That boat ride convinced me that I should live in York. I'm still convinced. 

What did an average day abroad look like for you? 

    We'd get up pretty early, have breakfast at the hotel, and then set out on some sort of tour, of the city and of a specific location within it. For example, one day we went to the York Minster and got a tour of that and a lecture on the stained glass windows, but on the walk there we learned a lot about York itself. 

What was the most interesting thing you found in the program, culture, etc.?  

    Officially, everyone is supposed to walk on the left side. In airports and train stations, you do. In practice, everybody walks on the right side of the sidewalks. 

Did you find any differences in style or livelihood in the UK?  

    There actually isn't a lot! The biggest difference was that nobody wears crocs. I discovered this because I wore my crocs and I was the only one in the whole country (it seemed) who was.

What is one piece of advice you would give to anyone wanting to do the same program? 

    Bring warm clothes. It rains a lot, even in the summer! The temperatures can be a little all over the place. 

Is there anything you would like to bring back from the UK? 

    The food. I love the food in England. So amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts