Axel Norbro's Cortland Experience



Axel Norbro

SUNY Cortland Sophomore 

Communication Studies Major

from Vimmerby, Sweden   

Where you are from and tell me about the last place you studied before coming to the US? 

    Because I started my degree here in America, I don’t have a home university but the latest school I went to in my home country is called Vimmerby Gymnasium which is the high school of my town. I come from a town in Sweden that is called Vimmerby, a small town with barely eight thousand people in it. Even though it is a small town it's pretty recognizable thanks to the world-famous author Astrid Lindgren who wrote many books for children.

What made you choose to study in the US and more specifically Cortland? 

A school by the standards of Cortland has always been my goal so when I found out about the school I never hesitated for a second. I also play club ice hockey here which is like a dream come true, I can do what I love and hang out with people I care about. 


What was the hardest adjustment you've faced in the US? 

    After being in America now for two years I've been able to adjust and get more familiar with America but in the beginning, it was very difficult. The food, infrastructure, and speaking English constantly were something that I was not too prepared for but in the end, it all worked out and now I can communicate without any problems.   

What big differences have you seen between America and Europe? 

    America is so different compared to other countries in Europe, I'd say Europe is much more sophisticated and it's noticeable in many different ways. A lot of Americans have that special trait to be loud and always have to take space without any reason for it. 

Is there anything you miss about Sweden? 

    I miss my family, the rest I can do without.


Comments

Popular Posts