Sarah McSweeney in the UK!

Sarah McSweeney 
Junior Physical Education Major 
Hastings-on-Hudson, NY

What made you decide to study abroad? Did you always know you wanted to? What made you choose the UK specifically? 

I've always wanted to travel but my parents and boyfriend were a major influence.  They pushed me to go ahead and start the process with finding out places to go.  Originally I was heading to Australia but changed to the UK because I can travel to other countries for little cost and see so much more.  I want to travel to Australia eventually but the UK was the best choice for me. 

What has been the highlight of your study abroad trip so far?

Seeing Big Ben, The London Eye, Buckingham Palace and the central city of London has definitely been the highlight for me.  Walking out of the train station and up the stairs and immediately seeing Big Ben was just amazing. The city and the buildings and architecture is different from the US.  Much more detailed. Also the double decker busses are always so cool to see.
How was your daily routine changed? Feel free to compare your daily Cortland routine!

My daily routine is more laid back compared to Cortland. The classes here are only 2 or 3 hours long and most of the time there you only have one class so most of the day is free! I usually go out to explore the city and take advantage of the time that I am not in class.  

Did you find any differences in style and livelihood?  

Style and livelihood is very different. For example in my flat I have a heater in my room and it can only be on for 2 hours at a time then I have to turn it back on when it turns off.  They like to save their electricity and energy while the US does not have that.  You also have to flip a switch to turn on the outlet whenever you have to plug something in to charge or use. when it comes to style, people are more covered then they are in the US. People do not really wear athleisure.  It is more jumpers and a nice pair of jeans or pants. For food, one of the biggest differences is that is it not as expensive and the eggs are not refrigerated.  They are on the shelves with everything else! Still is so different to me. 



Have you interacted with locals? What is the reaction like discovering you are from the US? 

The locals are very different for sure.  Some of them are very nice and helpful and some others are very rude.  They use the typical words like bruv, wanker, lad, cheerio, mate, bloody hell. When I tell someone I am from the US sometimes I get conversations about Donald Trump and politics and just jokes about America.  A lot of people want to visit New York and I get a lot of questions about the subways. The accents are different for everyone.  Some people have stronger accents and it makes it harder to understand them.


Have you planned to travel outside of the program? If so, where and why?  

My flatmates and I have travelled to Germany for a weekend.  I am planning to travel more. I am going to Greece, Spain, Italy, Ireland and possibly Morocco. I want to see as much as I can and take advantage of the cheap flight deals websites offer. 

Have you learned anything about your own culture by living in a different one? 

In the US taking buses and trains from places can be seen as poor to some people but that is the norm here.  I have learned that you have to do what is best for you and do not care what other people think. 

What is your greatest piece of advice you would give to someone thinking about studying abroad at London Met? 

My biggest piece of advance for anything looking to study at London Met or abroad in general is to do it sooner rather than later.  I had trouble getting classes towards my degree so going earlier is better and London Met is a really good option. Very good place because your flat is right down the road and the environment and teaching is really good and very professional.
 

Biggest difference between SUNY Cortland campus and London Met?  

The biggest difference between Cortland and London Met is that Cortland is in a small town and London Met is right in the middle of the city. London Met is a small campus but the buildings are more confusing.  There are zones and colors each class is in and it is like a maze figuring out where are your classes are.  Cortland is more wide spread.  


Comments

Popular Posts