Esra Ceker's Cortland Experience!



Esra Ceker

SUNY Cortland Junior

Major: TESOL

Eskisehir, Turkey

What have you found to be the biggest difference between SUNY Cortland and your home university? 

 The dynamism of the campus is one of the most noticeable differences between SUNY Cortland and my home university. There is always something to do at SUNY Cortland. There are numerous opportunities such as clubs or other campus events to develop yourself, gain experience, and have fun! 

 

How has your daily life changed since coming to Cortland?

 

Since coming to Cortland, my life has changed significantly. My days here have become busier. I have made new friends, joined clubs and organizations, and been exposed to different cultures and perspectives. I travel more and have been to a couple places in the state. Academic life is also more intense here, and I've been spending more time doing homework or studying for classes, which I enjoy. 

 

What has been your favorite event, place, or part of being in Cortland? 

 

My favorite event in Cortland has been going apple picking with my other international friends. We had so much fun picking apples and trying different apple products like cider and donuts at the orchard. It was a fantastic bonding experience and a wonderful way to spend the fall in Cortland. 

 

What is the most interesting thing you've learned in the US?  

 

The most interesting thing I've learned in America is the value of direct communication. In my experience, Americans are very straightforward and honest in their communication style. I've discovered that being direct often results in more efficient and effective problem-solving. 

 

What was the hardest adjustment you experienced here?  

 

Building relationships was the most difficult adjustment for me. It is culturally distinct. Social interactions in my home country were often centered around food and large friend group gatherings, whereas interactions here are more individualistic and centered around activities like going to the movies or grabbing coffee with one or two friends at a time. I had to figure out how to navigate these differences and connect with others. 

  

Are there any stereotypes of Americans you found to be true?

 

I believe that the stereotype of American football being the most popular and most-liked sport in the United States is accurate. Despite my low interest in sports, I have been to three games in the USA, one of which was Cortaca. It's also one of the most frequently brought up topics in my experience. I frequently overhear my friends talking about football. 

Comments

Popular Posts