Exploring Salamanca Spain, Tommy's Adventure

Thomas Briand, a senior Adolescent Education major from SUNY Cortland, is currently immersing himself in the rich culture of Salamanca, Spain. Join us in this interview as Tommy shares his insights, experiences, and the fascinating cultural differences he's encountered during his time abroad. 



Thomas Briand
 
 SUNY Cortland Senior 

Studying in Salamanca Spain


    "I go by Tommy, I am a senior Adolescent Education: French and Spanish major from SUNY Cortland. I am currently studying abroad in Salamanca, Spain through the SUNY Cortland program."

 

What’s your daily life like in Salamanca?


     "I feel incredibly fortunate with my schedule; it allows me plenty of time to explore the city and even take day trips to other cities in Spain. One of the small yet charming differences here is the crosswalk timers. They not only indicate how much time you have to cross but also how long until you can cross. It's a simple but delightful change!"


That sounds amazing; having the time to take day trips sounds like fun. It sounds like you're enjoying your time there! How did you end up choosing Salamanca for your study abroad program


           "I learned about SUNY Cortland's Salamanca Program through classmates and my professors, along with the study abroad information session that I attended."


That's great to hear; our Study Abroad Information session goal is to provide valuable, insightful information to those interested in studying abroad. So, Tommy,  How big of a culture shock has it been? If any. 


    "I wouldn't say there has been one large culture shock, more of a bunch of smaller ones that have come up as I've experienced different things, whether it is something I saw around the city or a difference in language (meaning the word they use in Spain is different from the one I might have learned during class at Cortland). It might sound silly, but one of my favorite small differences is the timers at crosswalks: they not only tell you how much time you have to cross, but also how much time UNTIL you are able to cross. It's simple but such a nice difference!"  


Any differences in the educational system compared to studying in the United States?

    "The educational system here in Spain is much more laid-back than in the US. There really isn’t as much homework, and the classes have been very relaxing. They are also more heavily conversational and group orientated, meaning that everyone has the chance to participate. Another difference is that even though classes might be 2 hours, the professors give you about a ten-minute break halfway through, which is great!"

Have you been challenged by a difference in language or cultural customs?
How have you adjusted to the challenge?

    "Thankfully, I already knew a good amount of Spanish before coming to Spain, but I am definitely learning new things every day and I’m loving every minute of it. As for culture, one of the biggest differences is the timing of meals. Breakfast is usually around 8am, lunch (which is the big meal of the day compared to dinner in the US) is between 2-3, and dinner is between 9-10pm. The only thing that I was able to do to adjust to this was just wait it out and let my body naturally adjust to these changes. I honestly don’t notice it much anymore!"

Have you made any new friends since being abroad?

        "I have made some great friends so far! I have become closer with the other students traveling on the Cortland program, but I have also met people from quite literally all around the world. There are people in my classes from Australia, Japan, France, Belgium, Portugal, Italy… it is such a diverse group of students and it is one of the coolest things I have experienced."

What methods have you used to stay connected with your friends and family back in New York while being overseas? 

      "To stay connected with family and friends back home, I use WhatsApp a lot, or other various social media platforms. Getting used to the time change was a little tricky when wanting to call home, but after a couple days it wasn’t so bad."

How has your experience studying abroad impacted your perception of New York and the United States? 

        "At this point, I’m not really sure how my perception of New York and the United States has changed. There are definitely some things that I miss at home, but others I much prefer here. I guess one big thing is how much people walk around the city. It is not only a form of exercise, but it is also a social aspect of Spanish culture from the time people are in strollers to when they are using a cane in the later years of life – people walk everywhere all the time just to be out and be social and enjoy the beautiful weather."


What’s your favorite thing about where you are studying abroad?

            "I think my favorite thing about Salamanca is the weather. Every day so far has been in the mid-70s – low 80s, and by about 4-5pm, the day starts to get cooler, and the city comes alive again with an incredible nightlife."

Thank you, Tommy, for sharing your thoughts and experiences; we wish you the best of luck and prosperity, my friend. One last thing: What are some plans you have for the rest of the semester?

    "During the rest of the semester, I plan on traveling to some other cities in Spain, such as Barcelona, as well as other countries such as Portugal, and maybe France or Italy, maybe more! Most importantly, I’m going to enjoy every minute of my time here"





Comments

Popular Posts